Charminar (17°23’N; 78°26’E) this is an imposing structure marked by four tall minars, which give it, its name each raising to a height of 56 Meters was completed in 1591-92 C.E. (A.H. 1000) by Mohammad Quli Qutb Shah, the fifth ruler of the Qutb Shahi dynasty of Golconda. It is believed that it was intended to commemorate the cessation of an epidemic of plague. The architectural beauty of the edifice lies in its plan 30 Mts. square with four imposing arches; each of a span of 11 Meters surmounted by terraced balconies in receding series. The profuseness of stucco decoration designs and arrangement of the balustrades and the balconies are remarkable. An interesting
feature within the Charminar is the mosque on the second floor facing east. 149 steps have to be climbed for reaching the top.
The Charminar is a stately gateway built in the middle of the town. Its four arches face the four middle of the town. Its four arches face the four principle thoroughfares of the city. Erected to provide a fitting environment to royal pomp and pageantry. Charminar is a square building with four spreading archways and 186 high minars or turrets at each corner. Though many other Islamic edifices were erected in the Deccan, one attained its elegance and strength, its dignity and it’s graceful.